Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I retired out of Solar Turbine in San Diego, California, and…

Customer Question
I retired out of Solar...
I retired out of Solar Turbine in San Diego, California, and I moved to American Samoa for 5 years, and I moved back to Roy Utah and I picked up a part time job at enterprise car rental a long with my retirement check and my disability check and I tried to file my tax, in 2011 and I end up paying $8000.00, because I didn't file for 5 years that I resided in American Samoa, my question is it possible that they can charge me for taxes even though I reside in American Samoa?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/28/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

If you did not have any U.S. source income, no the IRS cannot impose tax, however, if you were receiving a pension, or other U.S. source income, that should have been reported as income and tax returns should have been filed even while you were in American Samoa.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, be so kind as to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you.