How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3544
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired out of Solar Turbine in San Diego, California, and

Customer Question

I retired out of Solar Turbine in San Diego, California, and I moved to American Samoa for 5 years, and I moved back to Roy Utah and I picked up a part time job at enterprise car rental a long with my retirement check and my disability check and I tried to file my tax, in 2011 and I end up paying $8000.00, because I didn't file for 5 years that I resided in American Samoa, my question is it possible that they can charge me for taxes even though I reside in American Samoa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

If you did not have any U.S. source income, no the IRS cannot impose tax, however, if you were receiving a pension, or other U.S. source income, that should have been reported as income and tax returns should have been filed even while you were in American Samoa.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, be so kind as to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you.