How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7117
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My college student son did not count mself as an exemption

Customer Question

My college student son did not count himself as an exemption on his 2014 tax return because he was claimed as a dependent on my return and paid $96. The IRS changed his return to show an exemption for himself and sent him a refund of $96. How does he change this back on an amended return and how can he prevent this from happening in the future?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, if he made a copy of his original return you should check to see if he checked the box indicating that he could have been claimed as a dependent on his parents' return. If he makes certain that he checks that box and doesn't claim his personal exemption on his own return, that should be all that is necessary.

In order to correct his 2014 return, he will have to file Form 1040X in order to remove his exemption (which basically should return his figures to his original return; he should return the check he received with the Form 1040X, unless he has cashed the check in which case he'll need to send his own check for $96. with Form 1040X.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.

Related Tax Questions