Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My college student son did not count mself as an exemption…

Customer Question
My college student son did...
My college student son did not count himself as an exemption on his 2014 tax return because he was claimed as a dependent on my return and paid $96. The IRS changed his return to show an exemption for himself and sent him a refund of $96. How does he change this back on an amended return and how can he prevent this from happening in the future?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 2 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Well, if he made a copy of his original return you should check to see if he checked the box indicating that he could have been claimed as a dependent on his parents' return. If he makes certain that he checks that box and doesn't claim his personal exemption on his own return, that should be all that is necessary.

In order to correct his 2014 return, he will have to file Form 1040X in order to remove his exemption (which basically should return his figures to his original return; he should return the check he received with the Form 1040X, unless he has cashed the check in which case he'll need to send his own check for $96. with Form 1040X.

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert