Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I have to pay income tax on survivors benefits, and if

Customer Question
so, how much? I just...
Do I have to pay income tax on survivors benefits, and if so, how much? I just started getting my late husbands social security. in January of 2016.. Debbie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

SS may be taxable (some of it) if you have other income. This is true for survivor benefits too.

You add half your SS benefit and all your other income and if that amount is more than your BASE (set by filing status) then some of your SS could be taxable.

Check that amount above to see if it is more than the amount below for your filing status

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4