Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a taxpayer whose MAGI is too gh to claim an education…

Customer Question
quot;For Lev"If a taxpayer whose...
quot;For Lev"If a taxpayer whose MAGI is too high to claim an education credit returns to school for a career change, can the cost incurred be claimed as professional development or must it be amortized? If amortized, what is the life of amortization?Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There is no capitalization for educational expenses...

If that education qualifies for work related education - deduction is allowed for the year when expenses are paid.
For specific qualifications - see IRS publication 970 page 67

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

I just noticed the phrase - for a career change - that you mentioned.

Please be aware that it isn't qualifying work-related education if it:
-- Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business, or
-- Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.
You can deduct the costs if the education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

Please verify.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor