Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** *****. I am working on a 1065 and have a

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** *****. I am working on a 1065 and have a sale of a section 179 asset. I understand the mechanics and reporting requirements of the sale itself, however, I am trying to figure out how I need to account for the amount on Schedules M-1 and/or M-2. I have seen some info that says I do put the amount on M-1 (I had put it on Line 6a but not sure if I report it there or in Line 4a) Also, I am not sure if I need to account for it on M-2, and if so, where, and as a positive or negative number ??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The amount of the 179 recapture is $7,500.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question.

Schedule M-2 is only on the partner capital accounts -- this is not an entry that would impact the partner's equity account.

On Schedule M-1 you would use line 4a like you had selected.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please confirm............put it on Line 4a, or 6a...............I had it on Line 6a and maybe that is why I am having an issue. Do I put the 7,500 on the line you suggest as a positive number, or a negative number ??On my M-1, my Line 9 (Income) is (14,865)........I am trying to get to the correct number on Line 1.....................I believe that that number will flow to Line 3 on my M-2.

If reconciling to book, it will be a positive adjustment -

And yes, about line 3

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
27 February 2016 06:13Please confirm............put it on Line 4a, or 6a...............I had it on Line 6a and maybe that is why I am having an issue

I already said - line 4a

Please let me know if you need anything additional

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I was out of commission for a while........
I am still confused as to why this M-1 adjustment would be put on Line 4 "Expenses recorded on books this year not included on Schedule K, Lines 1 through 13" ??? I have a 7,500 gain on the sale of this 179 asset. So why am I NOT supposed to put the entry on M-1 Line 6a "INCOME recorded on books this year not included on Schedule K Lines 1 though 11 ?????Please advise as to which is correct and why ???
Thanks,
Chris D