Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My name is ***** *****. I am working on a 1065 and have a…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** *****. I am working on a 1065 and have a sale of a section 179 asset. I understand the mechanics and reporting requirements of the sale itself, however, I am trying to figure out how I need to account for the amount on Schedules M-1 and/or M-2. I have seen some info that says I do put the amount on M-1 (I had put it on Line 6a but not sure if I report it there or in Line 4a) Also, I am not sure if I need to account for it on M-2, and if so, where, and as a positive or negative number ??

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The amount of the 179 recapture is $7,500.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question.

Schedule M-2 is only on the partner capital accounts -- this is not an entry that would impact the partner's equity account.

On Schedule M-1 you would use line 4a like you had selected.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Please confirm............put it on Line 4a, or 6a...............I had it on Line 6a and maybe that is why I am having an issue. Do I put the 7,500 on the line you suggest as a positive number, or a negative number ??On my M-1, my Line 9 (Income) is (14,865)........I am trying to get to the correct number on Line 1.....................I believe that that number will flow to Line 3 on my M-2.

If reconciling to book, it will be a positive adjustment -

And yes, about line 3

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.

27 February 2016 06:13Please confirm............put it on Line 4a, or 6a...............I had it on Line 6a and maybe that is why I am having an issue

I already said - line 4a

Please let me know if you need anything additional

Sorry, I was out of commission for a while........
I am still confused as to why this M-1 adjustment would be put on Line 4 "Expenses recorded on books this year not included on Schedule K, Lines 1 through 13" ??? I have a 7,500 gain on the sale of this 179 asset. So why am I NOT supposed to put the entry on M-1 Line 6a "INCOME recorded on books this year not included on Schedule K Lines 1 though 11 ?????Please advise as to which is correct and why ???
Thanks,
Chris D