How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My childcare provider refuse to provide her SSN or TIN

Customer Question

my childcare provider refuse to provide her SSN or TIN for tax purpose I do not have her address except cell phone number and I never requested her to complete anything such as w4, w9 or any other forms what can I do with this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I paid the childcare provider by cash and I'm trying to file those exp in tax filing she refused to provide her SSN or home address to me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

For child care credit purposes - you must identify all persons or organizations that provide care for your child or dependent. Use Form 2441, Part I, to show the information.

If you cannot provide all of the information or the information is incorrect, you must be able to show that you used due diligence in trying to furnish the necessary information.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Due diligence. If the care provider information you give is incorrect or incomplete, your credit may not be allowed. However, if you can show that you used due diligence in trying to supply the information, you can still claim the credit.
You can show due diligence by getting and keeping the provider's completed Form W-10 or one of the other sources of information just listed. Care providers can be penalized if they do not provide this information to you or if they provide incorrect information.
Provider refusal. If the provider refuses to give you the identifying information, you should report on Form 2441 whatever information you have (such as the name and address). Enter “See Attached Statement” in the columns calling for the information you do not have. Then attach a statement explaining that you requested the information from the care provider, but the provider did not give you the information. Be sure to write your name and social security number on this statement. The statement will show that you used due diligence in trying to furnish the necessary information.

Sorry for your situation - but there is no easy and simple resolution.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Related Tax Questions