Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Best business structure houses, when the business generates

Customer Question
Best business structure for flipping...
Best business structure for flipping houses, when the business generates over 0.5M-1M in profit per year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Houses would be treated as inventory - so profit will be classified as business income.
There is no "best business structure" - all depends on circumstances .

For instance if most proceeds will be distributed to physical persons - some tax saving would provide S-corporation.

However - if you want to keep funds in business for future investments - C-corporation is preferable.

You might want to have more complex structure.

But there is no one solution to fit all purposes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what questions do you need me to answer to determine the ultimate plan here? I need a real life plan. Also, I am not opposed to having multiple business (who pay each other, invoice each other, whatever) for tax liability purposes.

If we run the business as a partnership - all taxable income will be passed to partners.
I assuming four partners - so each will realize $125k - $250k net self-employment income

Let assume for simplicity $250k, single, no dependents, standard deduction, no other deductions or credits.
Estimated tax liability
Regular Income Tax: $59,178
Self-Employment Tax: $21,389
Medicare SurTax: $449
Total tax liability - $81,016

So that would be a starting point - and we may try different structures and verify HOW that will affect total tax liability.

I am not asking questions - but making assumptions - do you agree?

Please be sure to communicate so we will be working on your tax related issues.

I am sending you an additional offer to discuss your issues over teh phone.

Please verify and accept.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor