How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wasn't sure why I haven't received my SSA-1099 and if I have

Customer Question

Wasn't sure why I haven't received my SSA-1099 for 2015 and if I have to include that in my return filing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recieved SSDI in 2015 and wondered if I should have recieved my SSA-1099
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you are getting social security benefits - including disability benefits - you should have reporting form SSA-1099.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Whether social security benefits are taxable depends on your other taxable income.
If you specify amounts of other taxable and income and social security benefits - I will verify if you need to file the tax return and if you have any tax liability.


Here is a simple test.

- take a half of social security benefits- PLUS other taxable income

- if the total is less than $25000 (for singles) or $32,000 (for married couples filing jointly) - none of social security benefits would be taxable

- if the total is more than the threshold - we would need to use a special worksheet to determine the taxable portion.

Let me know if you need any help to evaluate your situation.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.