Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Wasn't sure why I haven't received my SSA-1099 and if I have

Customer Question
Wasn't sure why I haven't...
Wasn't sure why I haven't received my SSA-1099 for 2015 and if I have to include that in my return filing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recieved SSDI in 2015 and wondered if I should have recieved my SSA-1099
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you are getting social security benefits - including disability benefits - you should have reporting form SSA-1099.

Whether social security benefits are taxable depends on your other taxable income.
If you specify amounts of other taxable and income and social security benefits - I will verify if you need to file the tax return and if you have any tax liability.

.

Here is a simple test.

- take a half of social security benefits- PLUS other taxable income

- if the total is less than $25000 (for singles) or $32,000 (for married couples filing jointly) - none of social security benefits would be taxable

- if the total is more than the threshold - we would need to use a special worksheet to determine the taxable portion.

Let me know if you need any help to evaluate your situation.

Otherwise,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor