How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Real Estate Question: My father has an 5 family apartment

Customer Question

Real Estate Question: My father has an 5 family apartment house that we wants to sell. He's in his 70. The question is how mush of his gross earnings will be taxed? or would it be better for me to buy the building? Just want to get him the most income
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The issue - what exactly do you meany under gross earnings - if that is a gain on teh sale - the full gain will be added to his other taxable income.

In additional - depending what other taxable income your father has - a part of his social security benefits might become taxable.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

What we need to know to calculate the gain?
First - that is an expected selling price and selling expenses (realtor fees, etc)
Then - his basis - which is original purchase price adjusted by improvement expenses which were capitalized.

We also need to know the amount of accumulated depreciation.

If you need additional help to find all that information - I am sending you an offer for additional services and we may discuss your reporting issues directly.