Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On my 1099-R box 2b indicates $51,171.08, box 5 indicates

Customer Question
$406.56, and box 9b indicates...
On my 1099-R box 2b indicates $51,171.08, box 5 indicates $406.56, and box 9b indicates $8,809.25. The amount in box 9b is the nontable amount paid I paid to my educational pension plan before 1987. Do I get to deduct the amount in box 9b? Please explain. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/26/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If the 1099R has listed the taxable amount in 2a then they have already taken into account.

That is the total amount of after-tax contributions you paid to your retirement system while working. Your plan used this to determine the after-tax contribution amount shown in Box 5.

You should not have to do any other calculations if your box 2b shows the taxable amount.

If 2b is checked then you are allowed to count your contributions

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4