How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29933
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** Bumanglag. My father past away in

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Bumanglag.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My father past away in March 2015, can I still claim him as a dependant in my 2015 income tax retrn?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - you may claim your father as a dependent on your 2015 tax return.
But there are certain requirements.

In particular - you must provided more than 50% of his support.
Is that true?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

So far - as all these tests are met you may claim the person as dependent.