How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15179
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family sold some property last year, of which I was part

Customer Question

My family sold some property last year, of which I was part owner. I can no longer find the bill of sale or the check stub for my portion, but I was told I'd need to pay taxes on it. Can I use an old bank statement to show the amount paid to me? Or is there other information (like the address of the property) that I need in order to file properly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You are going to need to report this on form 8949 and show your cost (BASIS) and the sale price (portion you received). Your cost depends on how you acquired your portion.

You would not need to send any document with your return so if you have the bank statement that tells you what your received you can use that.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded after you read my answer.

Related Tax Questions