Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My family sold some property last year, of which I was part…

Customer Question
My family sold some property...
My family sold some property last year, of which I was part owner. I can no longer find the bill of sale or the check stub for my portion, but I was told I'd need to pay taxes on it. Can I use an old bank statement to show the amount paid to me? Or is there other information (like the address of the property) that I need in order to file properly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You are going to need to report this on form 8949 and show your cost (BASIS) and the sale price (portion you received). Your cost depends on how you acquired your portion.

You would not need to send any document with your return so if you have the bank statement that tells you what your received you can use that.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Checking to see if you responded after you read my answer.