Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My tax program wants to put my SEP on line 8 as a negative…

Customer Question
My tax program wants...

My tax program wants to put my SEP on line 8 as a negative number - seems wrong to me after looking at IRS guidelines.

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm the only employee and owner of S-corp and i meant line 8 of 1120s

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

According to instructions for that line -

Don't include salaries and wages reported elsewhere on the return, such as amounts included in cost of goods sold, elective contributions to a section 401(k) cash or deferred arrangement, or amounts contributed under a salary reduction SEP agreement or a SIMPLE IRA plan.

So SEP contributions should NOT be included into that line.

Contributions an employer can make to an employee's SEP-IRA cannot exceed the lesser of:

1. 25% of the employee's compensation, or
  2. $53,000 (for 2015 and 2016)

Note: Elective salary deferrals and catch-up contributions are not permitted in SEP plans.

See for reference -

Publication 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business (SEP, SIMPLE, and Qualified Plans)

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.