Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

From boB, I am the beneficiary of my sons IRA. Since I am

Customer Question

from boB, I am the beneficiary of my sons IRA. Since I am now drawing an RMD from my own IRA account do I need to draw a RMD from the inheritance. Part of the IRA has been placed under Vanguard but part could not so I sold that part. I think it is large enough to cover an RMD amount. It the IRA inheritance taxable under the total amount? Your thoughts please. Thank you.
JA: Hi Ira. The Accountant will know how to help. Are you ready to speak with the Accountant now?
Customer: Yes.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that you lost your son. When did your son die?

Have you determined how you plan on taking the distributions from your son's IRA?

You can use 1 of two methods.

1) Take the entire balance out within 5 years after the year when your son died; using this method their are no minimum distribution requirements as long as the entire balance is withdrawn by the end of the 5th year following the year that your son died.

OR

2) Use the Life Expectancy Method. Non-spouse beneficiaries use the Single Life Expectancy Table, found in IRS Publication 590. Each year, the prior year's ending balance is divided by the applicable factor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,