How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29774
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to track down a 1098 form back in 1998 that a

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** and I am trying to track down a 1098 form back in 1998 that a former employer said I received a check from. I do not remember receiving this check or the 1098. This is regarding a life annuity benefit I never received.
JA: Hi Constance Ramsay. The Accountant will know how to help. Are you ready to speak with the Accountant now?
Customer: Yes I am
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years.You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -


Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.

The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:


Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.