Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am trying to track down a 1098 form back in 1998 that a…

Customer Question
Hello my name is*****...

Hello my name is***** and I am trying to track down a 1098 form back in 1998 that a former employer said I received a check from. I do not remember receiving this check or the 1098. This is regarding a life annuity benefit I never received.

Accountant's Assistant: Hi Constance Ramsay. The Accountant will know how to help. Are you ready to speak with the Accountant now?

Yes I am

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years.You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -

http://www.famguardian.org/TaxFreedom/Instructions/0.8ObtAndAnalyzingIMF.htm

.

That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.

The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/imf_pia.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-013-005-cont01.html

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/pmf-pia.pdf

.

Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.