Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What should I do if I haven't been paying taxes on

Customer Question
dividends while living abroad?...
What should I do if I haven't been paying taxes on dividends while living abroad?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If you were deemed nonresident the tax should have been withheld at source.

Canadian income subject to Part XIII tax are dividends. The usual Part XIII tax rate is 25%. Part XIII tax is not refundable. Therefore, you do not file a Canadian tax return to report the income unless you elected to file a return in that year.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4