Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have always done my own taxes but the last year has been

Customer Question
I have always done my...
I have always done my own taxes for years but the last year has been nearly impossible to comprehend. Here is what I'm dealing with, a partial amputation, unpaid medical leave, forced to move, private disability, loss of job, unemployment compensation, search for a new job. Had to buy a new car (due to the partial amputation). Help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Please post a specific tax question and I or another expert will be happy to answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Need to know how to go about tackling my taxes with all of the previous included?

Thank you for clarifying.

Your unemployment is taxable so that is income. Your moving expenses would need to be that you moved for work purposes. If your move did not occur because you were changing jobs or relocated from your job to another location, they are not going to be used.

The private disability could be taxable but that is if you or an employer paid the premiums. If you paid then it is not taxable if your employer paid the premiums it is taxable.

Job search and medical expenses are amounts that can be on Schedule A. If you do not have more on yoru Schedule A than your standard deduction then there is no other place to claim for those.

The car I will check on.

The cost of structural or operational modifications to your vehicle would be a medical deduction but that too would be on Schedule A under medical. The cost to modify a new car (additional amounts to make it usable by you) but not the full cost of a new car itself.

After you read the above post below and let me know if you need clarification on any specific item.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My move was a medical one. I lost most of my left foot and my old apartment was a 2nd Fl with no railings and I was in a wheel chair, so I had to find a 1st Fl apt. With the car, I've always owned a manual transmission but with the amputation I needed to buy an automatic.

I am sorry but the car is not a deduction. It would have to be modified specifically and a automatic would not fit into the IRS rules on that.

Although you do not have to meet the time test if your job ends because of disability, you would need to show a new job and the move would still need to meet the distance test (50 miles closer to new job).

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Checking back to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4