How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15302
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have always done my own taxes but the last year has been

Customer Question

I have always done my own taxes for years but the last year has been nearly impossible to comprehend. Here is what I'm dealing with, a partial amputation, unpaid medical leave, forced to move, private disability, loss of job, unemployment compensation, search for a new job. Had to buy a new car (due to the partial amputation). Help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Please post a specific tax question and I or another expert will be happy to answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to know how to go about tackling my taxes with all of the previous included?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

Your unemployment is taxable so that is income. Your moving expenses would need to be that you moved for work purposes. If your move did not occur because you were changing jobs or relocated from your job to another location, they are not going to be used.

The private disability could be taxable but that is if you or an employer paid the premiums. If you paid then it is not taxable if your employer paid the premiums it is taxable.

Job search and medical expenses are amounts that can be on Schedule A. If you do not have more on yoru Schedule A than your standard deduction then there is no other place to claim for those.

The car I will check on.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The cost of structural or operational modifications to your vehicle would be a medical deduction but that too would be on Schedule A under medical. The cost to modify a new car (additional amounts to make it usable by you) but not the full cost of a new car itself.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

After you read the above post below and let me know if you need clarification on any specific item.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My move was a medical one. I lost most of my left foot and my old apartment was a 2nd Fl with no railings and I was in a wheel chair, so I had to find a 1st Fl apt. With the car, I've always owned a manual transmission but with the amputation I needed to buy an automatic.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but the car is not a deduction. It would have to be modified specifically and a automatic would not fit into the IRS rules on that.

Although you do not have to meet the time test if your job ends because of disability, you would need to show a new job and the move would still need to meet the distance test (50 miles closer to new job).

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you responded