Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I have to pay back a loan that was later considered as a

Customer Question
gift...
do I have to pay back a loan that was later considered as a gift
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question -

If the person decided to reclassify the loan as a gift, then you do not have to pay it back. If your loan is in writing, also get the notice that it's now a gift in writing too.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The loan was was not in writing but the check state loan in the comments

If they now say it's a gift, just get a letter stating that it is now a gift from the person who gave it to you -- that way it's not he-said-she-said.

Thanks, ***** ***** rate positive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is now asking for the repayment of the loan

You'll have to prove that it was a gift - unfortunately you can't go by an oral agreement if you cannot prove it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
need an answer

I gave you an answer -- you need to be able to prove that they later said it was a gift. IF you cannot prove that, then they can take steps if they want to to get repayment.