Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do I have to pay back a loan that was later considered as a…

Customer Question
do I have to pay...
do I have to pay back a loan that was later considered as a gift
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question -

If the person decided to reclassify the loan as a gift, then you do not have to pay it back. If your loan is in writing, also get the notice that it's now a gift in writing too.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

The loan was was not in writing but the check state loan in the comments

If they now say it's a gift, just get a letter stating that it is now a gift from the person who gave it to you -- that way it's not he-said-she-said.

Thanks, ***** ***** rate positive.

he is now asking for the repayment of the loan

You'll have to prove that it was a gift - unfortunately you can't go by an oral agreement if you cannot prove it.

need an answer

I gave you an answer -- you need to be able to prove that they later said it was a gift. IF you cannot prove that, then they can take steps if they want to to get repayment.