Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

1065 partnership tax return the schedule L...when I show…

Customer Question
1065 partnership tax return...

1065 partnership tax return the schedule L...when I show stock assest being held

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Seems to add long term held stock assests to the partner capital throwing off the balance sheet

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 2 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Evidently Brenda is not available as you question was returned to the "Q".

My name is***** and I can try to assist you if you wish. OR you can wait for Brenda to return.

Just let me know.

One Question first:

When you say "Stock assets" are you talking about Inventory or holding "Stock" (shares) in another Company?

I have a basic partnership with me and father as the partners.. our partnership has always done under $250,000 so balance sheet wasn't (sechedule L) wasn't required. This year we went over $250,000 in sales. Our partnership has Etrade account where we hold a copy of dividiend stocks. We report the dividends as required but on the balance sheet that we now have to fill out it has a spot to list the long term held assest. When I put that number in...its around $40,000 it throws off the balance sheet.
on the schedule L first box is cash.... that number is ***** end of profits in the account...down a few numbers you list other assest... if I list these stocks held this balance sheet doesn't balance. These stocks aren't going to be sold we hold them to collect the dividend so I am not sure how to make this balance. any thoughts?

I take it that you aren't keeping a regular set of books, general ledger, etc.

If you have assets and no liabilities then the offset to recording an asset on your balance sheet would go to the Partners' capital accounts, just like the partnership income that is retained in the partnership.

I'm not sure how you are making the Balance Sheet balance with whatever other assets (cash) that you have recorded?

Are you using the Capital Accounts?

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert