How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15713
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to

Customer Question

I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to my bank account in the US. Do I need to report it to the IRS? Is the bank going to report it? I heard the bank report anything above $10,000. its about $40,000. I don't want it complicating my taxes. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Because the amount is under $100K you are not required to report the amount you received. If you had inherited $100K or more you would have to report it on form 3520.

It is not taxable and if you have a transfer to your US bank that is not the same as depositing cash. Cash deposits are reported by the bank when over $10,000.

If you have that in a bank in Israel then you need to file FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (“FBAR”) (formerly TD F 90-22.1). That is a reporting form.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Respond below when you read my answer

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you responded in any way after you read my answer