Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to

Customer Question

I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to my bank account in the US. Do I need to report it to the IRS? Is the bank going to report it? I heard the bank report anything above $10,000. its about $40,000. I don't want it complicating my taxes. What to do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Because the amount is under $100K you are not required to report the amount you received. If you had inherited $100K or more you would have to report it on form 3520.

It is not taxable and if you have a transfer to your US bank that is not the same as depositing cash. Cash deposits are reported by the bank when over $10,000.

If you have that in a bank in Israel then you need to file FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (“FBAR”) (formerly TD F 90-22.1). That is a reporting form.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Respond below when you read my answer

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Questions?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you responded in any way after you read my answer