Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to…

Customer Question
I inherited money in Israel...
I inherited money in Israel and would like to transfer it to my bank account in the US. Do I need to report it to the IRS? Is the bank going to report it? I heard the bank report anything above $10,000. its about $40,000. I don't want it complicating my taxes. What to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Because the amount is under $100K you are not required to report the amount you received. If you had inherited $100K or more you would have to report it on form 3520.

It is not taxable and if you have a transfer to your US bank that is not the same as depositing cash. Cash deposits are reported by the bank when over $10,000.

If you have that in a bank in Israel then you need to file FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (“FBAR”) (formerly TD F 90-22.1). That is a reporting form.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Respond below when you read my answer

Questions?

Checking back to see if you responded in any way after you read my answer