Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA

Customer Question
Hello, I am sole owner...
Hello, I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA SUI tax? I understand I can be exempt from DI and not exempt from FUTA. Could you confirm?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

I have not found that an employee of an S corp (which you are ) is exempt just because they are the sole shareholder.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de231ee.pdf

In a private corporation, any person who is a corporate officer and sole shareholder, or the only shareholder other than his or her spouse, may file a statement electing to be excluded only from State Disability Insurance (SDI) coverage for contributions and benefits, which includes Paid Family Leave (PFL).

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Now that you have read my answer, please respond below.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4