How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA

Customer Question

Hello, I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA SUI tax? I understand I can be exempt from DI and not exempt from FUTA. Could you confirm?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


I have not found that an employee of an S corp (which you are ) is exempt just because they are the sole shareholder.

In a private corporation, any person who is a corporate officer and sole shareholder, or the only shareholder other than his or her spouse, may file a statement electing to be excluded only from State Disability Insurance (SDI) coverage for contributions and benefits, which includes Paid Family Leave (PFL).

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Now that you have read my answer, please respond below.