Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA…

Customer Question
Hello, I am sole owner...
Hello, I am sole owner of S Corp, contractor. Am I exempt from CA SUI tax? I understand I can be exempt from DI and not exempt from FUTA. Could you confirm?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

I have not found that an employee of an S corp (which you are ) is exempt just because they are the sole shareholder.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de231ee.pdf

In a private corporation, any person who is a corporate officer and sole shareholder, or the only shareholder other than his or her spouse, may file a statement electing to be excluded only from State Disability Insurance (SDI) coverage for contributions and benefits, which includes Paid Family Leave (PFL).

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Now that you have read my answer, please respond below.