Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How can we find out what our ein number is? We forgot it…

Customer Question
How can we find out...
How can we find out what our ein number is? We forgot it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You can call the IRS Business Line.

Business and Specialty Tax Line and EIN Assignment(###) ###-####
Regular Hours of Operation
Hours:
M-F, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. taxpayer local time; Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time

If you previously applied for and received an EIN for your business, but have since misplaced it, try any or all of the following actions to locate the number:

• Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN. This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
  • If you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
  • Find a previously filed tax return for your existing entity (if you have filed a return) for which you have your lost or misplaced EIN. Your previously filed return should be notated with your EIN.
  • Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(###) ###-#### ***** hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Let me know if you need more info than supplied above

Checking back to see if you responded after you read my answer