Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm a 34-year old, single professional. What is the cap upon

Customer Question
I'm a 34-year old, single...
I'm a 34-year old, single professional. What is the cap upon which I can donate clothes, etc. and qualify to receive a deduction in my tax return? I've understood in the past the ceiling is $2,000.00. Further, what does that mean in terms of a potential return?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/24/2016
Tax Professional: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

In order to see any benefit from donations, you will need to have deductions exceeding $6200. Otherwise, your return will default to the standard deduction. Generally speaking, the limit on charitable donations specifically is 50% of your income. Be sure you have receipts to back up any donations over $300.

Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA