Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am married and do not work. I have no income I am going to…

Customer Question
I am married and do...
I am married and do not work. I have no income I am going to file separately for my taxes. I did receive healthcare through the affordable care act. So, do I still have to file taxes.
Mary
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/23/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Mary,

...

No. If you don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low, then you are automatically exempt and don’t need to file.

...

Even if you don’t have to file, you may want to file for many reasons. For example, if you had Marketplace coverage and then lost your source of income, you may be owed tax credits for the months you had coverage.

...

But no, for someone filing separately you must have $4000 of income for the need to file.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986

Thanks Lane

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or rating request on your screen) … is thanks enough! … That’s how we’re credited for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS