Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I take a gift ($20,000) to family member off on my

Customer Question
taxes? Can I take donation to...
Can I take a gift ($20,000) to family member off on my taxes?
Can I take donation to political campaign off?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/23/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Gifts to individuals (including family members) or political campaigns are not deductible. Gifts to any one person in the year over $14000 are reported on form 709. $14,000 is the annual limit yo can give one person so if you give more than that to one person you have to report the gift.

If you make a charitable gift to a recognized charity then you can show that amount on your Schedule A when you itemize.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Checking back to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4