Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I guess no more income averaging, not a fisherman but

Customer Question
I guess no more income...
I guess no more income averaging for retirees
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not a fisherman but redeemed some 401 k and a in 2015 and did not withhold enough. kicked me way up agi from 159k to 355k owe 19.2k to feds an 6.7k to CA
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/23/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Income averaging is only allowed for specific income. The 401K distribution is not allowed for averaging, it is added in total to your income for the year of distribution.

That is a large increase in one year. If you find that paying the full tax is not possible you can request to make installment payments but interest will be added till the tax debt is paid.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4