Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am living in Hawaii months. I was in NYC. I have an NY

Customer Question

Hello
I am living in Hawaii for 6 months. I was in NYC.
I have an NY drivers licence.
Is there any benefit to get a Hawai***** *****cence?
I am also trying to move my LLC out of NY completely.
Right now the LLC is in DE. But I've been told my drivers licence in NY could attach me to the state for tax purposes.
Will I pay less tax in 2016 in Hawaii or NYC. I was a resident of Manhattan.
Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Your residency is not determined by your driver's license. Your residency is determined based on where you live. TO move your LLC out of New York completely, you would have to make sure no work is being done there and you do not live there.

If you are going to Hawaii only for 6 months, you are not a resident -- when you decide to live there permanently, then you become a resident.

So no - no benefit to a Hawaii license. It doesn't matter for tax purposes.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The LLC is now in DE.

I have no residence in NY.

I have an apartment I am renting in HI.

I have an apartment lease and utilities etc.

Where should I have a driver licence then?

Thanks

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

What I'm saying is your driver's license doesn't matter for taxes. If you are living in Hawaii and are going to stay there, then that's where you have your license. However, just having that won't impact your taxes -- moving to where you live impacts your taxes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

I was previously told that leaving NY is one of the hardest states to leave. And that they will pin you if you have any connection, including a licence.

Thanks

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

They can, but if you prove that you are living somewhere else then they can't really do anything about it. However, you are supposed to get a license changed when you move so not doing so is a violation of certain traffic laws, but that doesn't have a tax impact.

New York, like California -- if you are actually leaving and not going back -- then do all you can to separate.