How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4673
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a licensed pastor; in 2015 he received income

Customer Question

my husband is a licensed pastor; in 2015 he received income for that by check until August when he resigned. No w-2 was created for him for 2015. The previous 2 years the church had an accountant create a w-2 for him, and he claimed the housing allowance as well. The accountant also filed all the necessary paperwork to send the the IRS during those previous 2 years, but no accountant was used for 2015. What should we do, since we have no proof of his 2015 church salary other than trying to get bank statements from the former church bank. ( the church is no longer in existence, but the bank told us they could give him statements if he came in; his name was on the account)
How to file taxes?
As his wife, I've had the same full time job for 17 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I will assist.

There are some filing options, which I can outline later tonight. Start with getting your bank's statements and a copy of your husband's pay stubs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are only bank statements, with pictures of the checks, stating on each one that they are "salary".
Can he still claim housing allowance?
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You should lose nothing because the church closed. Including the right to unemployment or other such benefits. Housing allowance too.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. PDtax here. Can I ask you to use the star rating system to rate my response to your question to close it out before month end? Thanks.