Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My brother and I inherited our dads house in April 2013,

Customer Question
appraised at 300,000 for the...
My brother and I inherited our dads house in April 2013, appraised at 300,000 for the trust at the time...We sold the house for $410,000 in June of 2015. Do we pay state or federal taxes on this???!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/22/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The fair market value of the property on the date your father passed does set the basis or cost. You would owe tax on any gain above that value.

If the FMV was $300k and you sold for $410k then the gain is $110K. Both CA and federal would require tax on the $110K.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Please respond below if you need clarification