Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an ebay and etsy store. Should I be charging sales…

Customer Question
I have an ebay and...
I have an ebay and etsy store. Should I be charging sales tax on my items?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/22/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Sales tax is regulated by state law. Each state has different laws about when and who should collect and remit sales tax.

You must have some physical connection to a state to be required to collect sales taxes there. Your post does not mention the specific state where you are, but if you tell me I can look into that state's laws.

I'm sorry. I am located in California. However, I sell domestic and international.

The fact that you are in California is the relative point. Because you are in California their sales tax laws apply because the sale is happening in CA.

FTB has already addressed this

https://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub177/

If, through Internet auction houses you list your merchandise to sell, seek bids, accept a bid from the highest bidder, and transfer the merchandise to the purchaser, you are generally considered the retailer in your transactions.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Please post below

Checking back to see if you responded after I supplied all the information

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4