Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I appreciate your response and I have another question

Customer Question
concerning this matter. I want...
I appreciate your response and I have another question concerning this matter. I want my children to receive money from my trust and I have a successor trustee to make sure the money is distributed to my children according to the trust. I also have the trust to avoid probate on the inheritance for my heirs.
In the past the trust has been the beneficiary of some after tax annuities I have taken out but recently I have been given counsel that the trust should be the owner and beneficiary. my situation has not changed over the last 7 years and I am wondering why should this be.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/22/2016
Tax Professional: JudgeLaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
JudgeLaw
JudgeLaw, Attorney

I am going to recatagorize this under "Tax" and open it up to experts in that category for you. Do not respond to this post as it will delay an answer.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You have been advised of the trust being the owner and not the beneficiary because if the designated beneficiary is a non-spouse (i.e., any other living breathing human being besides the annuity owner’s surviving spouse), the beneficiary can stretch distributions over his/her life expectancy beginning in the year after death; but,

if the beneficiary is a non-designated beneficiary, the annuity must be liquidated within 5 years of the annuity owner’s death.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4