Tax-Scholar
Tax-Scholar, CPA
Experience:  Helping customers comply with and plan for income taxes
62862763

Madam, we got married in 2014. We filed joint return in 2015

Customer Question

Hello sir/madam, we got married in 2014. We filed joint return in 2015 and applied for my wife’s ITIN. This year I filed married separately in H&R block office and the return has been accepted by IRS. Now we want to file jointly. Would it be feasible to file an amended return? Does it call for IRS audit? (Our return is accurate; we want to file amended return requesting change in filing status)
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax-Scholar replied 1 year ago.

HelloCustomer- Welcome to JustAnwers! Yes you should file an amended return on Form 1040-X if you want to change your filing status. I do not think this will increase your audit risk. However it will take longer for the IRS to process the return; usually 16 weeks. On the 1040-X you'll just need to check a box on the first page indicating your change in filing status. Hope that helps. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I owed about $3500 to federal and $700 to state this year but I realized if I file as jointly I will owe much less ( about $80 to federal and $ 200 to state) and also I can get tax break because I went to school this year. So can I file the amended tax by myself or do I need to go to the H&R office again?

You will be able to prepare your own 1040-X and file it with the IRS. However I'm sure that HR Block would be able to help and get it done quickly. Here are the instructions to the amended return https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I word the bullet where it says explanation for filing amended return?

I would say something along the lines of "taxpayer inadvertently filed their personal income tax returns as married filing separately. The returns are being amended to file as married filing jointly." You are within your right to make this change. You don't really need a good reason.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife is currently visiting India and would be there for several months. Can I send her the amended form via postal mail whereby she can sign the form and send it back to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tax-Scholar, may I request you to answer my last question please?

Yes your wife will need to sign the 1040-X as a joint filer. Yes you can use the post office to send the forms. Or you could also use fax, email or any other convenient method.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife is a homemaker and has ITIN number. She has not filed her separate return yet. Will she have to file her separate return first and then we file amended return filing joint or we can file the amended return at this time?

She will not need to file a separate return first. Just go ahead and amend your 1040 to file a joint return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife does not have any source of income currently. If there is an audit (just in case which is not very likely) will the IRS call or question her too or only myself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could reply to a couple of more questions, that would be greatly appreciated.
A. My original return was filed electronically. Do I need to mail a copy of the original return along with 1040X?B. I have heard from my friends that if you owe money to the IRS for two years in a row there is penalty for that. Is this information true?