How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband & I were married in Dec - he was a teacher here

Customer Question

Hi my husband & I were married in Dec - he was a teacher here for 7 years on a work visa from the Philipines and then last January the Board of Ed advised he they were no re hiring him so his work visa expired- now I want to know if I can file with him jointly as married thanks Louise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You can file a joint return with your spouse. Even if your spouse is a nonresident alien you have the choice to file married filing joint.

If, at the end of your tax year, you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien (even if you were NOT for the whole year) and married to a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident for U.S. Federal Individual Income Tax purposes. All his income for the tax year would still be included on the return.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!