Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a tax when selling real estate to see if you are a…

Customer Question
is there a tax when...
is there a tax when selling real estate to see if you are a terrorist
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/22/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

I am not sure if I understand correctly. Somebody told you that you need to pay a tax/fee to make sure you are not terrorist?

The title company usually charge a fee for the title investigation, to check that the title is clean and that there are no other claims against the property, like IRS or state lien. But there's no background check done on the owner himself.

that is what i was told
if some one is taking advantage of me how can i get them arrested

No, there's no such tax. If you want to get somebody arrested for fraud, you will have to file fraud report at your local police station.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

There is a WITHHOLDING for tax when a Nonresident Alien (NRA) sells real estate in the US. That sounds like that requirement may have been what you were told about.

It is not to see if you are a terrorist. NRA withholding applies only to payments made to a payee that is a foreign person. It does not apply to payments made to U.S. persons.

The buyer must deduct and withhold a tax equal to 10% of the total amount realized by the foreign person on the disposition. The amount realized is the sum of (1) The cash paid, or to be paid (principal only), (2) the fair market value of other property transferred, or to be transferred, and (3) the amount of any liability assumed by the transferee or to which the property is subject immediately before and after the transfer. The amount realized is generally the amount paid for the property.

If this is what you were told then it is not to see if the person is a terrorist but a need to get the tax up fornt form a person that may not be in the US at tax filing time.

Checking back to see if you were able to verify the "tax"