Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am due a full refund this year from the IRS. I only made…

Customer Question
I am due a full...
I am due a full refund this year from the IRS. I only made 7,300 and my taxable income is 0. I paid my health insurance out-of-pocket each month. I would think that I should get some kind of credit for that towards my refund.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/21/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Out of pocket medical expenses is a deduction. You need to have a taxable income to deduct it from. Deductions will reduce your taxable income to 0 but will not generate a refund unless you had money withheld from w2 or your social security statement for instance that you will get. You would only get back what was withheld.

Unless you had the medical insurance through Obamacare (State exchange of Market place) you will not get any credits for paying medical insurance.

Sorry, if that's not the answer you were hopping for.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.