Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in state, I failed to finish my tax obligation on

Customer Question
I live in Washington state...
I live in Washington state, I failed to finish my tax obligation on several tax submissions and the IRS completed them. I understand in some states that doesn't matter and a person can still file for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Is Washington state into that? I have many more questions
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/21/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - that is based on federal law.

Regardless in which state you live - you might be eligible to file for bankruptcy protection and some of outstanding debts may be discharges.

However if you are looking to discharge tax debts - there are certain requirements.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent a different set of questions, I know all of what you sent above, if you look you will see I asked more questions than what you're answering, and you are not the attorney, what you're answering is simple reasoning, I need more than that, I will call on Monday. It's Saturday night and if the attorney is in New York, it's after midnight. I'll not pay for what you've sent, I knew that already, and by saying I might eligible and "some" of the outstanding debts may be discharge(s), surely you meant discharged.
My phone number is:(###) ###-#### ***** the attorney will call on Monday I'd appreciate it, for I got free information that went way beyond what you've sent, for free. However, I want to know what exists in Washington state regarding late filing and the IRS finishing the filing. Apparently there are some states where it doesn't matter if the IRS completes the tax

Based on your response I do not feel comfortable to continue conversation.

I will opt out and your question will be placed on the open question list.

Someone will reply to your questions.

I wish you the best.

Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist with your bankruptcy question in Washington State.

Substitute for return assessments are not dischargeable in Washington State.

In Re Smythe is a Washington State based bankruptcy decision on point. I'm out, IRS prevailed in arguing their SFR assessments were nondeductible, even after taxpayer filed actual 1040 returns for the years in question.

Typically replacing SFR returns, and waiting the needed 240 days, allows post three year returns to be discharged.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax