How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son while at college filed s taxes as a non-dependent. I

Customer Question

My son while at college filed his taxes as a non-dependent. I filed my taxes claiming him as a dependent and it was rejected. If he amends his return it takes up to 16 weeks before the change takes affect and we do not have that much time until mid April. What is the best thing to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You should mail your return. Attach a statement explaining about his amended return and what he did.

Do not wait to see if the IRS will change their computer that rarely ever happens. You will be rejected because he has claimed his own exemption.

Complete and mail your return with the statement. He still needs to amend as soon as his is processed.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please respond

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you responded yet after you read my answer

Related Tax Questions