How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4675
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been told that you have 3 years to claim back taxes

Customer Question

I have been told that you have 3 years to claim back taxes once paid, so how does the repayment part work you had not paid with in the three years
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was repaying 2012 but only finished repayment 2015.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finished repay for 2012 last year so can that be claimed?
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

You have the latter of three years from the due date or two years from when a tax was paid to amend and get a refund of overpaid taxes.

In your example, you can still all of your 2012 overpayment back. It was due April 2013. You have at least until April 2016 to amend.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.