Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been told that you have 3 years to claim back taxes…

Customer Question
I have been told that...
I have been told that you have 3 years to claim back taxes once paid, so how does the repayment part work you had not paid with in the three years
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
I was repaying 2012 but only finished repayment 2015.
I finished repay for 2012 last year so can that be claimed?
2/20/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

You have the latter of three years from the due date or two years from when a tax was paid to amend and get a refund of overpaid taxes.

In your example, you can still all of your 2012 overpayment back. It was due April 2013. You have at least until April 2016 to amend.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax