Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can income tax paid years be claimed?

Customer Question
can income tax paid for...
can income tax paid for past years be claimed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/20/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

In order to get a refund, you have to file a tax return within three years. So, for 2015, due April 15 2016, you would have to file a return by April 15 2019 to get any refund back. Keep in mind that you must file a tax return, it's just a matter of getting your refund. Anything older than 3 years does not get a refund.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if you had filed a return and not completed repayment what effect if any would that have?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are still there?

If you filed a return and not completed repayment? What do you mean by that? If you owe, you still must pay --- no matter how many years it's been.

Sorry, you caught me as I was logging off last night.