Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a questions about claiming a dependent who receives…

Customer Question
Hi ***** *****, My...

Hi ***** *****, My name is ***** ***** I have a questions about claiming a dependent who receives SSI benefits.

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My roommate is on SSI and receives 900/month. He gives me about 400 for household expenses - rent, utilities, renters ins, etc. I pay approx. 80% of these expenses and the amount he contributes is about 20%. If I claim him as a dependent (we're not in any relationship or related) will it affect the benefit amount he receives or is eligible for?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you claim that person as a dependent - that means - you provide more than half of his support and you are living in the SAME household - that is OK from tax prospective..

HOWEVER..
If that is Supplemental Security income - which is based on needs - then his benefits could be affected.

So as long as he reports that support on his SSI application - you are OK.
If however - that is social security income based on his working record - these will not be affected.

Questions?

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.