Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am the mother of a Special Needs son Ben (18), But I have…

Customer Question
Hi My Name is***** am...
Hi My Name is***** am the mother of a Special Needs son Ben (18) , But I have been told by Centrelink that I have to apply for a tax file number for him so we can receive the Disability Support Pension, I was trying to do it on line as I was told, BUT when I went to do it the form that came up was asking about a passport Numbers, Country of issue etc, BUT my son or myself have never held a passport????? So I now don't know what to do PLEEEEEEASE! HELP! Because I am new to the internet and I am now a single mum. I HOPE you can HELP! me. Please take care and GOD Bless, Hope to hear from you soon Michelle :D :D :D
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 2 days by:
2/22/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Not sure if you still need assistance but

If you're an Australian resident the easiest way to apply for a TFN is to:

1. Complete the online formExternal Link.
  2. Print the summary, which will include your application reference number, and take it to your Australia Post interview.
  3. Attend an interview at a participating Australia Post outlet within 30 days of completing your online form. You'll need to take your printed summary and proof of identity documents to the interview.

Use this following link to get the form

https://smarteform.com.au/onlineforms/ato/tax-file-number-application-or-enquiry-for-individuals/

If you still cannot use the Australia Post service you can apply in person at an ATO shopfront by completing the paper form you can get from Centrelink.