How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15300
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the mother of a Special Needs son Ben (18), But I have

Customer Question

Hi My Name is***** am the mother of a Special Needs son Ben (18) , But I have been told by Centrelink that I have to apply for a tax file number for him so we can receive the Disability Support Pension, I was trying to do it on line as I was told, BUT when I went to do it the form that came up was asking about a passport Numbers, Country of issue etc, BUT my son or myself have never held a passport????? So I now don't know what to do PLEEEEEEASE! HELP! Because I am new to the internet and I am now a single mum. I HOPE you can HELP! me. Please take care and GOD Bless, Hope to hear from you soon Michelle :D :D :D
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Not sure if you still need assistance but

If you're an Australian resident the easiest way to apply for a TFN is to:

  1. Complete the online formExternal Link.
  2. Print the summary, which will include your application reference number, and take it to your Australia Post interview.
  3. Attend an interview at a participating Australia Post outlet within 30 days of completing your online form. You'll need to take your printed summary and proof of identity documents to the interview.

Use this following link to get the form

If you still cannot use the Australia Post service you can apply in person at an ATO shopfront by completing the paper form you can get from Centrelink.