Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I work out of state in AL. On my home state tax return in MS…

Customer Question
I work out of state...
I work out of state in AL. On my home state tax return in MS the tax preparers have always used box 1 on the w2 form which is less than Al state tax listed in box 16 on the W2. HR block used box 16 this year for MS tax which caused what I owe to MS to more than triple. They said it is a new law, they can no longer use box 1 for MS state returns. the only MS income I have is a pension. Are they being truthful or just covering an error?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/19/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

I have not heard of using Box 1 for the state income to report. When you work outside of Mississippi they still tax you on all your income. Of course they allow for a credit on the taxes that Alabama charged you.

To calculate that credit they should use the actual tax you paid to AL after they complete the Alabama nonresident return and that requires looking at the same income that was taxed in Alabama and Mississippi.

I cannot ever remember not using the actual tax paid and using the tax withheld by the other state.

Whatever they did in the past I cannot comment on but you can always have your returns checked at another office.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Checking back to see if you read or responded