Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I understand I fill in line 9a and 9b with ordinary and

Customer Question
I understand I fill...

I understand I fill in line 9a and 9b with ordinary and qualified dividends -then complete the line 44 cap gain/qualified worksheet which results (for me) in a lower tax than what would be read as income on line 44. so i'm okay filling in the lower tax from the worksheet (line 27) than the corresponding tax on my reported income?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I had dividends over $1500 so i had to fill in schedule B.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

...

Hi, I can help here. What your question?

i have ordinary and qualified dividends to report, so i fill in line 9a and 9b and include with other amounts to line 43. i fill in the qualified dividends and capital gains worksheet-line44 and the result is a much lower tax than the taxable income on line 43 permits. i just want to know if the IRS is going to flag me if it sees a lower tax recorded on line 44 ? it just seems to me that 9a and 9b could be simplified to show the actual taxable amount of dividend that would correspond with the tax computed on the worksheet. i'm sure people mess up line 9a and 9b when they do their taxes and i don't want to be one of them.
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you correctly reported qualified dividends on your tax form - the IRS will know that you used special worksheet to calculate your taxes.
So there will not be any flags and will not be any questions.
The IRS computer will do the same worksheet and will automatically verify your calculations.

So the main issue to correctly report amounts on line line 9a and 9b.

Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet—Line 44

see page 44

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor