How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29963
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I understand I fill in line 9a and 9b with ordinary and

Customer Question

I understand I fill in line 9a and 9b with ordinary and qualified dividends -then complete the line 44 cap gain/qualified worksheet which results (for me) in a lower tax than what would be read as income on line 44. so i'm okay filling in the lower tax from the worksheet (line 27) than the corresponding tax on my reported income?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i had dividends over $1500 so i had to fill in schedule B.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.


Hi, I can help here. What your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have ordinary and qualified dividends to report, so i fill in line 9a and 9b and include with other amounts to line 43. i fill in the qualified dividends and capital gains worksheet-line44 and the result is a much lower tax than the taxable income on line 43 permits. i just want to know if the IRS is going to flag me if it sees a lower tax recorded on line 44 ? it just seems to me that 9a and 9b could be simplified to show the actual taxable amount of dividend that would correspond with the tax computed on the worksheet. i'm sure people mess up line 9a and 9b when they do their taxes and i don't want to be one of them.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you correctly reported qualified dividends on your tax form - the IRS will know that you used special worksheet to calculate your taxes.
So there will not be any flags and will not be any questions.
The IRS computer will do the same worksheet and will automatically verify your calculations.

So the main issue to correctly report amounts on line line 9a and 9b.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet—Line 44

see page 44

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.