Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just took over as Controller and found out that my

Customer Question
Hello, I just took...

Hello, I just took over as Controller and found out that my predecessor did not send 1099s to recipients

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am trying to send today and would like to efile

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Will their be any fines if I e-file vs print no that is all

Accountant's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi There:

Could you expand on your issue? I don't see an actual question here. You should send out 1099 forms even if they are late.

Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

You may use email for those clients that specifically authorize you to. You should keep notes, authorizing email (email them & have them respond to your email listing their email address and their authorization) and of course, copies of the 1099's.

For those that don't want to use email for privacy/security reasons, you will still need to mail a hard copy.

You will not incur additional penalties for emailing vs paper mailing if that is your question. You are of course, already late with the 1099's and there is a penalty of $30/form. Please see below for additional information:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230851

If you have further questions, please contact me here & I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer