Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I have a day job and I am also self employed. If I max…

Customer Question
If I have a day...
If I have a day job and I am also self employed. If I max out my 401k at my day job can I contribute to some sort of retirement plan with my sole proprietorship?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Hello, when you say you maxed out, and to referring to the $18K deferral? Does your employer match?

I make 18K in contributions from my own pay. My employer matches 3% (50% of the first 6%) and they also put in 5% of my base salary via a profit sharing plan (not sure if this counts as a match or not)

Thanks, $53K is the max you can do, including your $18K and the match plus profit sharing. You may also be klimited based on your SE income. Example:

$18K deferral

4K match

5K profits sharing

$27K total

That would leave a max of $16K you could do in another 401K or SEP, none of which could be considered an employee deferral on the 401K part

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so. That is how I am paid.

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent