How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15185
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife who is disabled visits Seattle on a regular basis

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** *****, my wife who is disabled visits Seattle on a regular basis for medical treatment, is it nessecary for her to establish her residency there to payer taxes in Washington state?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If your wife is only visiting Seattle for medical treatments and has not moved her residence to Washington state then she is not a resident.

The Department of Revenue presumes that a person is a resident of this state if he or she does any of the following:

  • Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
  • Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
  • Is registered to vote in this state;
  • Receives benefits under one of Washington's public assistance programs;
  • Has a state professional or business license in this state;
  • Is attending school in this state and paying tuition as a Washington resident or is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
  • Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
  • Has a Washington State driver's license; or
  • Claims Washington as a residence for obtaining a hunting or fishing license, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.

If your wife wishes to change her residency she would need to sever ties with the state where she is resident now. This usually means changing her center of financial interests too.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Now that you have viewed please post below