Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife who is disabled visits Seattle on a regular basis

Customer Question
Hello, my name is *****...
Hello, my name is ***** *****, my wife who is disabled visits Seattle on a regular basis for medical treatment, is it nessecary for her to establish her residency there to payer taxes in Washington state?
Thank you
Dave
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If your wife is only visiting Seattle for medical treatments and has not moved her residence to Washington state then she is not a resident.

The Department of Revenue presumes that a person is a resident of this state if he or she does any of the following:

• Maintains a residence in Washington for personal use;
  • Lives in a motor home or vessel which is not permanently attached to any property if the person previously lived in this state and does not have a permanent residence in any other state;
  • Is registered to vote in this state;
  • Receives benefits under one of Washington's public assistance programs;
  • Has a state professional or business license in this state;
  • Is attending school in this state and paying tuition as a Washington resident or is a custodial parent with a child attending a public school in this state;
  • Uses a Washington address for federal or state taxes;
  • Has a Washington State driver's license; or
  • Claims Washington as a residence for obtaining a hunting or fishing license, eligibility to hold public office or for judicial actions.

If your wife wishes to change her residency she would need to sever ties with the state where she is resident now. This usually means changing her center of financial interests too.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Now that you have viewed please post below

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4