How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold some stock in December 2015. I have received a 1099-

Customer Question

I sold some stock in December 2015. I have received a 1099-B statement. The type of gain/loss is Noncovered. Do I still report the money on line 13?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Yes you do report as sale on form 8949.

The use of "covered" and "noncovered" securities is very recent and is being phased in, so 1099-B's will continue to report certain sales as noncovered for many years to come.

You need to have your own records that show your cost. Go through old broker's statements.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Respond below Judy if you need clarification