Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold some stock in December 2015. I have received a 1099-

Customer Question
B statement. The type of...
I sold some stock in December 2015. I have received a 1099- B statement. The type of gain/loss is Noncovered. Do I still report the money on line 13?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Yes you do report as sale on form 8949.

The use of "covered" and "noncovered" securities is very recent and is being phased in, so 1099-B's will continue to report certain sales as noncovered for many years to come.

You need to have your own records that show your cost. Go through old broker's statements.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Respond below Judy if you need clarification

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4