How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29941
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm applying adjustment of status. the thing is my joint

Customer Question

I'm applying for an adjustment of status. the thing is my joint sponsor file his taxes wrong; now the question is to know if he has to file the 1040x and add it to his 1040 before I send them to the immigration or just the 1040?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may provide either copies of 1040 or you may order tax return transcripts.
If tax return will be amended - generally you will need both - the original tax return AND amended tax return.

But if amended tax return contains ALL additional forms and schedules - it might be enough to provide only amended tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please be aware that it might take 4-6 weeks for the amended tax returns to be processed.

So - before you come to the interview - you might want to have IRS transcripts.

Any clarification? Please communicate if needed.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.