Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm applying adjustment of status. the thing is my joint…

Customer Question
I'm applying for an adjustment...
I'm applying for an adjustment of status. the thing is my joint sponsor file his taxes wrong; now the question is to know if he has to file the 1040x and add it to his 1040 before I send them to the immigration or just the 1040?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You may provide either copies of 1040 or you may order tax return transcripts.
If tax return will be amended - generally you will need both - the original tax return AND amended tax return.

But if amended tax return contains ALL additional forms and schedules - it might be enough to provide only amended tax return.

Please be aware that it might take 4-6 weeks for the amended tax returns to be processed.

So - before you come to the interview - you might want to have IRS transcripts.

Any clarification? Please communicate if needed.

Otherwise,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.