Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We filed chapter 7 bankruptcy but entered into a loan

Customer Question
modification after the discharge was...
We filed chapter 7 bankruptcy but entered into a loan modification after the discharge was final. The mortgage company filed a 1099C and in box 6 they marked code F as the identifiable event code. Shouldn't they have used bankruptcy as the code? And is there an alternative that could be used for insolvency?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If that loan modification was NOT a part of your chapter 7 bankruptcy procedure - the creditor may not use "A—Bankruptcy" as the reason on form 1099C...

Based on your information - you entered into a loan modification AFTER the bankruptcy was finalized.

So that reporting is correct and you may not use the bankruptcy as the exclusion reason.
If that discharge was related to your primary residence - you may use "Discharge of qualified principal residence indebtedness" as the exclusion reason.

But if that is not your primary residence - you may verify if you qualify for the insolvency exemption.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Otherwise,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor