How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my husband gets a small civil service retirement from

Customer Question

If my husband gets a small civil service retirement from England and another small retirement from American Express, does he have to pay taxes on it in the US? Total $700/yr.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. If you husband is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he would be taxed by the U.S. on his income earned worldwide. If the UK taxes his pension, the U.S. will give him a credit for the UK taxes, up the amount of amount of U.S. tax on the UK-source income.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would we show his taxes when he gets an earnings report for tax year from Jun1 to Jun 1. Of course our tax year is a calendar year.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see no response - do you not answer 2nd questions about same subject?
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I have been away from my computer for awhile. You can use 5/12 of UK tax for the year ending 6/1/2015 and 7/12 of the UK tax for the year ending 5/30/2016.